Lazy Sysadmin Use Case
Sometimes I have an idea which would fit beautifully into a shell script, and is a useful tool or toy that I’d like to share with the world. Unfortunately, “the world” consists primarily of people who can’t or won’t run a shell script themselves. The lowest common demoninator in this target audience is the ability to use a web browser.
One option would be to write the scripts in Bash or Python or PHP and set up my web server so that it runs the code for visitors to my site, with whatever inputs they give it. Unfortunately, from a security perspective, the problems with this idea are second only to handing over all your banking information to a disinherited royal heir. (Sure, some people do the latter for fun, but they have a lot more free time than I do.)
There are ways that I could have my server run other people’s code in a “secure” way, but it’s a lot easier to simply automate their browsers to run their calculations for them.
First Project: Novel Word Calculator
For National Novel Writing Month, crazy people like myself attempt to write 50,000 words in 30 days. We also write a lot of other words, on forums and IRC, to encourage one another and sometimes procrastinate on the 50,000. The NaNoWriMo site lets you track your word count over time, but I had some extra calculations that I found motivational and wanted to share.
Novelists have some overlap with other types of nerd, but on the whole, I couldn’t just hand out my custom python script and say “run it!” unless I wanted to become tech support for hundreds of novices trying to install Python on Mac and Windows.
Second Project: GitHub Stalking Tool
I wrote a cute but useless little article preaching to the choir about how licenses are cool, and then wanted an easy way to check whether I was following my own advice.
“GitHub has an API, right? JS can do stuff like make API calls, right? This shouldn’t be too hard...”
One week and many hours of confusion later, I have a piece of code that works for the originally intended purpose. Learning experiences here have been that CSS is still hard, JS still tends to defy one’s expectations, the API has a 60 request per hour rate limit unauthenticated, and One Does Not Simply OAuth. Or more accurately, OAuth requires a server-side program with an application secret, and everything gets exponentially more complicated from there.
Next time I feel like experiencing many hours of frustration, I’ll work through the process of adding OAuth (so that you can log into github and click a button to automatically add licenses to unlicensed repos, all through my site), then write up a tutorial. For now, though, it works okay.